13/04/2012

About me....

A little bit about me....


My name is Sasha Waters and I currently live in Derby with my husband and our menagerie of animals. 


I am profoundly deaf. Was born hearing but measles at 14 months old destroyed my hair cells in the cochlea. I can talk and lipread, albeit with a broad Scottish accent that was accumulated and saved in my brain's memory since I could hear when in my mother's belly as well as in the first 14months of my life as a hearing person.


I was officially diagnosed as being deaf when I was 3 years old, following a series of hearing tests. I was immediately given hearing aids to give me sound, but recognition was difficult to come by when noises were around me. 


Intensive speech therapy started when I was 5, starting primary school. My younger sister had to be my translator as I spoke in baby babble until I was about 7 and was able to start formulating clear words and sentences. A Teacher for the Deaf used to visit me daily whilst at primary school to help me ensure that I remain at the same curriculum levels as the rest of my hearing peers. High school saw me having weekly speech therapy with the Hearing Impaired Unit which has helped broaden my speech recognition sounds but it was still 'below average' of the hearing peers but I was 'above average' within my deaf peers.


English class at school was my most hated subject. I was always being pulled up to correct my grammar, sentence structure and plot layouts and yet my ideas and storylines were always enjoyed. My HIU teachers were always helpful in encouraging me to correct my English but I always slip up and mess it about. Even to this day, I still have this issue and yet, my husband Dan has been rather patient with me over the years since we got together and has helped me massively when I wrote letters, CVs and random stories, mostly in the Erotica genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment